Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Train Station

Sepia Scenes

This is an "After" picture of a commuter train heading to Chicago. This is actually the end of the train.



I wanted a hint of color to show up but still keep the sepia tone as the dominant color. I also added some light effects to brighten it up and enhanced it. I dodge the tree to bring out the details. The pix is still muted (which is my preference) but brighter. Then I just cropped it. (All done in PSE.)





One thing that I did notice is that, right dead center, there are 2 people walking at a distance which I never noticed until I lighten the picture.



This is the "Before" pix. This shows how awful my skills are in raw form. (Not that the above picture is a Picasso.) But I am still learning like alot of you and thought it's somewhat important in the learning area to show the before shot. And bad pixs (like the one below) sometimes have the potential for improvement in the digital world.





I really appreciate MaryT the Teach and others who show how they do their magic so others like me can learn.





11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely compare/contrasts. I like them both, in color and in sepia.

The sepia gives it a very nostalgic and classic look.

Beautiful.

RA said...

Thank you for your kind words on my post. It is something very enlightening at this difficult point of time. I love your photos for this week's sepia scenes. The train, snow and light effect give me a warm and comfortable feeling. Best wishes.

Ralph said...

The sepia softens the depot and platform. This is good, as the warning red and white on the end of the train needs to be seen for safety. For surely, the train changes direction, as the back of this train will be the oncoming train later...keep safe!

PJ said...

I love this! Leaving the red in was exactly the right thing to do. And now that you mention it, the two people in the distance add a lot of interest.

Jeri ~ said...

You have learned the magic for sure, what a great job you did with the coloring!

Mojo said...

Nicely done! I like the mood in the original and you've preserved that while adding the detail and "vintage" look.

Carletta said...

Wow, I really like the 'after'. I think you did a wonderful job. I love that you left the back of the train. Cropping was a great move on your part. Nice job.

My Sepia post is on my photoblog: Carletta’s Captures.

Anonymous said...

Nicely done. I prefer the sepia shot actually, the snow on the side is a fine addition.

Jackie said...

hi Mar,
I didn't play this week. My real life schedule just didn't allow for the time.

But, I wanted to visit the ones who did.

I have to say that I love both of these shots.

Great job...thanks for taking the time to share it with everyone!

Jackie

maryt/theteach said...

marLou, an excellent job on that picture! The sepia effects are phenomenal! Happy Sepia Scenes!

EG CameraGirl said...

I like what you did with PSE and hmmm....I see I still have much to learn about that program.