Monday, August 11, 2008

Just Finished Reading...

I finished reading The Other Boleyn Girl. I thought it would be a biography of Mary Boleyn (sister of the ill-fated Anne Boleyn) but I don't think it was. The author Philippa Gregory had explained in the book that there was very little written about Mary Boleyn and her research was based on findings related to Henry VIII, Anne and history. Even though, the book was fascinating and a good read.


After I read the book, I rented the movie of the same name. Or rather, Bill had rented it for me because everything we rent these days must be in Blu-Ray. I personally don't care but he sure does. (I guess that's a "man thing" because I don't quite understand.) Anyways Blu-Ray surely did not help this movie at all. It pales by comparison to the book. It seemed that the movie was squeezing in as much as they can in the 2 hour time in an effort to tell the story but it didn't work. It was done in a frantic pace. And what really frustrates me on any movies based on a book is that the movie tends to change the story which they did on this movie. I say skip the movie and read the book.






****


The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory. I've always been fascinated by Henry VIII since I was in 8th grade due to a substitute teacher who turned me on to his life and many wives. The substitute teacher was filling in for a sick teacher but she (who I can't remember her name) turned out to be one of my most memorable teacher who got me interested in history. After reading this book, I will probably research it some more to see how much of this is true. This is the first time I've heard about Mary Boelyn which I know to be a fact but I know very little about her. Can't wait to finish the book and then see the movie.

No comments: